Run to Live, Live to Run

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The New Year of hope and dreams...

Ah, the New Year...new hopes, new dreams, new goals, new races to scare me & challenge me...
Winter has sucked so far for me running wise.  I strained my lower back in November and due to sometimes crippling pain in my lower back and hip, I couldn't run for 5 weeks.  Thank goodness for the pool, muscle relaxers and red wine...lots of red wine.  But now, I'm recovered and pain free, so back to it.  Right?  Not as easy as I thought...
    Starting small, after a month long layoff due to the holiday paunch and the nasty battle with sciatica in my lower back, I knocked out a very hard 35 minutes on Sunday, then a more challenging 45 minutes on the trail today.  It was hard to take into consideration that I put on almost 15 pounds since the fall.  My quads felt like they had been beaten slowly by midget boxers...definitely thank goodness for Physical Therapy.  I'm going to the wonderful people up at Elite PT in North Wilmington.   They've trained the Men's US Soccer Team, tennis star Maria Sharapova and USA Baseball amongst others.  Thorough, courteous, professional and comfortable, just what PT should be. 

Delaware's oldest road race, the Caesar Rodney Half Marathon takes place just over 2 months away on March 2, and I've started my training.  As of now my training will consist of 4 days of running, 2 days of conditioning and cross training and one day of rest and recovery.   2 runs will be tempo runs, between 40 and 60 minutes at a fast, controlled pace concentrating on form, posture and breathing.  1 run will be repeats, usually on grass, sometimes with hills, totalling about 45 minutes or 4-5 miles.  And the last run, the best one...the long run.  Done on the weekend, I'll start with 50-60 minutes this weekend and add 5 minutes each week, topping out at about an hour and 45 minutes (my goal finish time is under 1:35)...I'll be updating on my progress as much as possible...that's all for now, some hot chocolate with Bailey's is calling me before bed.  Good night, Good running.

No comments: